Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Wedding Part II - September 27, 2008

I woke up at seven o´clock with only three hours sleep from the previous night. Was I nervous, perhaps a little, did it show? Nope. I had only one thing on my mind that day....yes, a bride thinks of two thousand things the morning of her wedding, but my biggest concern, better yet fear was of being late. I am notoriously late to everything! I handled everything with clockwork precision and nerves of steel, of course this caused my bridesmaids to be slightly alarmed because I guess they thought I was going to have a meltdown at any moment. My biggest problem was adjusting my heavy veil...of goodness...it looks light but that thing is cumbersome.

I managed to arrive on time to the Kingdom Hall with time to spare! I had to wait in the car around the corner a few minutes getting teased by wedding party, but it was all in good fun. I was suffocating on my pefume, can you believe it?!? I went back to an old favorite of mine from my childhood days...I always loved the smell of the perfume, White Linen by Estee Lauder when I was younger but for some reason in my adulthood, it no longer agrees with me. Normally in Barcelona indian summer with high to moderate humidity I would be sweating buckets, but for some reason I was dry as the Sahara.




Finally the time had come...I was a bit nervous because the elder that was to give the talk told us there was no need to rehearse the night before *raised eyebrow* first off, let me tell you, you need a rehearsal for ANYTHING takes coordination and good timing! yea, its my fault because I didn´t put my foot down on that one, but I was already an exhausted bride the night before. Well, everything went okay...my wedding party managed to get down the aisle and my Dad met me at the front door and walked me down the aisle...okay this is where the rehearsal was needed...my Dad gave me to Julius....no hand shake, 'Take care of her, son!'....no kiss from father to daughter...most important NO LIFTING OF THE VEIL! Julius did not think to lift it either! Oh goodness, I get faint just thinking of it! Soooooo, I sat through the wedding talk with this veil covering my face and inhibiting my already shallow breathing. During the talk the bride and groom have to read scriptures, Julius stood up to read his because he wasn't told that he is not supposed to stand up. I told the brother I was going to sit just where I was : ))










The elder gave a wonderful wedding talk. He mentioned that a marriage is much like a tandem bicycle...a tandem bicycle is a bicycle built for two riders one sitting one behind the other. The person in the front steers with the handbars and the one behind helps by pedaling the bicycle. So, Jules is in the front and of course, I am behind pedaling dispensing advice, suggestions, and unsolicited opinions which my husband is most grateful to receive *smirk*.










The talk winds down and we get to the vows...remember we didn´t rehearse....I had no idea what I will be expected to say but I was thinking the brother would ask us to repeat very other word, not give us long passages to memorize and repeat on the spot in front of an audience on our biggest and most special day. Well, you can figure out what happened. I butchered my vows and got a case of the giggles to boot! Vows...oaths...promises...they should be said in a somber way due to its solemn nature...and there I am standing there holding my belly.....hahaha! Pathetic!










We managed to get through the wedding talk and prayer...now, time to go to the restaurant to have a lunch reception with close friends and family for the first reception....later pictures....then, the evening reception....

No comments: